How to manage a large classroom.
Large class gives challenges to teachers especially in most of public schools in Africa have free primary education. However this doesn't mean that you can’t achieve your class objectives. The pupils in this class will learn comfortably as we assume for the small number of a class. Moreover, this large class will give you an opportunity to improve your teaching make it enjoyable and rewarding for your learners. What counts most is your quality of teaching.
Tips on classroom management.
1. ORGANIZE THE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT:
The classroom environment can affect how well your students can learn. The classroom environment will include the physical environment- learning resources as well as the psycho social environment- dealing effectively with misbehavior. You find the class space is limited maximize it by removing unnecessary furniture or equipment to create more space some learning materials can be hanged on the wall according to subjects or activity areas.
2. BUILDING PSYCHO- SOCIAL ENVIRONMENT:
A classroom is often referred to a” learning community” it’s a place you and your learners can be found regularly while in school. In a large class it important to create a sense of community one that shows your interest in and ease of access to your learners this will encourage your learners to participate in the learning process. To create a positive psycho-social atmosphere by:
• Make a large class feel small by moving around the class and checking their work or when you are explaining a concept.
• Working in groups is encouraged for large class therefore while in groups you will identify misbehavior among the children and try controlling that before it goes out hand.
• Learn their names by having a name tag on their front or on their desk call them by name this encourage them to learn.
• Actively take attendance roll every day to create that face to face conversation with the learners and they appreciate your efforts.
3. PAY ATTENTION TO INDIVIDUAL EFFORTS:
Unlike a small class a large class is different in terms of the attention they need therefore you need to increase the attention you give especially for the slow learners. This can also be done by reviewing there exam performance, homework and their participation in class. If you discover that there is a small group with difficulty to cope with the large interaction while delivering, spare sometime for them.
4. ESTABLISH RULES TO GOVERN YOUR CLASS:
All classrooms need rules to function effectively, and for a large class it’s a necessity. Learners need to know the limits as well as how to behave with others and respect their rights. Explain the rules you set and stress the value of cooperation and consideration. Involve your learners while developing the rules, make only a few rules that emphasize appropriate behavior, choose rules that will maintain class order.
5. USE POSITIVE DISCIPLINE TECHNIQUE:
Positive discipline is encouraged for a large class as well as a for a small class. As teachers do not assume to do things your way this may have a negative impact on the learning process.
Rather than corporal punishment the following can be used as positive discipline technique:
• Praise them when they are not misbehaving.
• Ignore misbehavior when possible; give positive attention during pleasant times.
• Ask direct questions to a learner who seems to lose touch with class activities.
• Target-stop-do; target the learner by identifying them by name, point out the bad behavior to be stopped.
6. PLAN YOUR LESSONS:
In a large class it is important to make the best use of your time and the time available for learning. This means planning in advance. This can be done by setting your lesson plan, seek appropriate teaching resources if you need to use the text book you need to communicate effectively to your learners. It’s also important to keep referring from the syllabus that relates to the curriculum used in your school. Always structure your lesson in a logical sequence i.e. a step by step approach.
7. PAY ATTENTION TO LEARNERS WITH INDIVIDUALIZED NEEDS:
As you plan you need to consider children in your class who happen to have special needs. First identify their special case then if they can be included in the normal class or either be referred to a special school. If the learner remains in your class create time for them since they need extra help.
8. CONSIDER USE OF DIFFERENT LEARNING STYLES:
Question and Answer method can be effective for a large class since learners will participate and if you happen to use lecture method ensure that you have variety of material to use when explaining a concept and you have enough activities for your students. Ensure to maintain eye contact while using lecture method. Discussion method is most effective divide your large class into small manageable groups for discussion. If you introducing a practical activity ensure you demonstrate the skill to your learners.